Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Weekly Dose of Crafts!

Thanks to everyone that voted in my African Flower Hexagon Motif blanket poll! I'm going to officially call Almost Random the winner, and good thing too because that's what I think I've decided to go with!

Last Wednesday night I went to Knitting class determined to start a pair of mittens (Gauntlet Mittens from the book Speed Knitting) knit in the round, knitting in the round and double pointed needles scare the heck out of me though. But with the help of my teacher I got going and it wasn't so bad. I tried to make the thumb on my mitten, it turned out horribly (3 times!) so I decided to get the second mitten all the way done except for the thumb and hope to get some help in class with it tonight.


Yarn used: 
Lion Brand Yarn Tweed Stripes Orchid

With the confidence those mittens gave me (even though they aren't a success just yet) I decided to tackle a simple knit hat pattern I had gotten and started in my Knitting 101 class last winter. It was a breeze minus trying to work with the last few stitches at the top and I'm really happy with how I turned out, I couldn't believe I did it without really any help! 

Yarn used:
Cascade Lana Grande 6039

 Last Friday me and Tami took a peek at Smiley's Yarn and decided we must have some. I woke up on Saturday determined to use up some of my yarn to make room for what was the come and I decided to make these fingerless mittens, based on Attic24's pattern. Well it didn't use up that much yarn (duh!) but they were still fun to make! I ended up using 3 of the Comfort DK colors I decided not to use for the African Flower Hexagon Motifs. I got my sister to model them for me! 


Yarn used:
Berroco Comfort DK
2730
2721
2744

Thanks to everyone for the input on the yarn used for the Isar Scarf, I decided to rip it out and try my second choice of yarn, it worked up a lot faster and I ended up finishing it earlier this week. I've given it to my mom and sister who really liked the colors so I think I'll be making myself another one with different yarn sometime in the future. 


Yarn used: 
Premier Deborah Norville Serenity Garden Yarn Sea (2 + a little skeins)

Last week I pulled out this scarf I had started knitting for my sister like last March, I decided it was time for it to be finished. And so I took care of that! It was just a simple garter stitch scarf that was made a little more interesting by the texture of the yarn.


Yarn Used: 
Lion Brand Yarn Homespun Apple Green

 After looking at patterns for several days trying to figure out what I could tackle next in Knitting class I decided to just go with this pattern I had been holding onto, at first I thought it was going to be too hard, but I think I can do it! Check out the From Norway With Love Winter Accessories pattern here, I'm starting with the hat but got enough yarn to do the entire set! It was a lot of fun heading over to my LYS and getting a little help choosing my yarn and having 3 different people give their opinion on colors and having a nice chat while they made my hanks into cakes!

I started the pattern last night and hope to get up to the color change on my own before class today, if I'm feeling brave I might just start myself and see what happens! 


Yarns used: 
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light
4201
4282
4288
4275
4294
4268

Since I'm progressing on my Knitting I thought it might be fun to check out some Knitting magazines, here are two current ones that looked fun, if you reading Knitting magazines what are your favorites? 


For more crafty goodness be sure to stop over at WIP Wednesday! And find me on Raverly as mint910.

14 comments:

  1. After I get back from Spain, I'll have a little over 2 months before I have to go back to school. I'm determined to learn how to knit more than a stocking knit! Good work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for knitting progress! You've got an awful lot of FOs running around up there for WIP Wednesday... they're making me and my 10 (and counting) week sweater look lazy!

    As for knitting mags, I'm a big fan of Interweave Knits. Also Knitty which is a magazine, but not the paper kind. Hope it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors and always lovin' the warmth of knitted hand accessories for my poor arthritic hands with winter getting closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:25 PM

    I love the fingerless mittens. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I knew you finished all these projects, but it just seems like so much more when all in one post! Everything looks amazing. you are going to make me want to learn to knit!!! LOL I can't wait to see the heart hat you're working on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks great. Really, dpns aren't hard, you knit with 2 at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:34 AM

    Wow, what a ton of FOs! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a problem with magazines and books...I can't resist them! Prob my fave is Interweave

    ReplyDelete
  9. FANTASTIC finished scarf! What stitch is that? Could you share the pattern source? Would like to check it out.

    Your knitted projects are enticing me to learn to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lu- Do it do it!

    Paula- Not lazy at all, some of my projects I haven't touched in forever. :/

    Emme- :)

    Carolsnotebook- Thank you!

    Tami- I can't wait until you are knitting with me!

    Denise- I always seem to have the other 2 needles poking me in the hand!

    Wordlily- Thanks!

    Dina- I'm glad it's not just me!

    Sunonglass- Which scarf? The green one is just the garter stitch and the other you can see here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/isar-scarf

    I just got yarn to make another of those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great knits! I love your fingerless mittens, the colours are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh you are talented! I wish I could knit! Those mittens are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both scarves are lovely. Sorry for the confusion! I was asking about the multi-color crocheted one. Thanks for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude, you're a knitting machine! Like seriously, a total machine. That is some awesome finery you've created there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...