Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Weekly Dose of Crafts! (Is Back!)

I haven't done one of these in 3 months how sad! But I wasn't making anything so there wasn't anything to share until today! I've worked up quite a few things to share today! Make sure to stop over at Tami's Ami's and Other Crochet! She recently started sharing all the fun things she's been crocheting and today is a special day, it's WIP Wednesday! So if you want to join her meme, post about your crafts in progress and leave a link over there in the Mr. Linky!

About 2 weeks ago the latest Crochet Today magazine showed up (I love this magazine, it's very contemporary compared to a lot of the other magazines) and there was a section on beginner projects, one being a beret! I just guessed on a yarn and came out with that horribly small tiny useless thing there on the right. I knew I had to get the right yarn to try it again which I did, I made it and it still turned out a bit small (but at least it fit my head this time!) so I ripped out a bunch of the stitches and kind of added my own alternations to the pattern, I ended up making 2 hats so far with my adjusted pattern, as you can see!


I recently bought a little pamphlet type book called Next Steps Five: Crochet Guidebook from Patons and it had this really cute purse so I just had to make it! It took awhile and I was kind of skeptical about how it would turn out while in progress but it turned out a lot better than expected. It's still unfinished because i want to add a lining. I stuck some white fabric into the back for now so you can see the pattern of the bag, cute right?


My major crochet inspiration this week is this wonderful blog called Attic24, the woman that runs it shares such beautiful project, tutorials (with pictures!) it's really just wonderful! She should write a book because I just love her taste and color sensibility!

She had a pattern for what she calls a Summer Garden Granny Square. I had never been able to master the granny square the several times I tried. So I thought I would give hers a try and I did it! I think the trick is to learn with each round being a different color so you can really see what you are doing. The squares from her pattern are on the right along with the Hexagon I also learned via her tutorial! After mastering her granny square I went back and tried to original one I failed at from the Crochet (Klutz) book but with different colors for each row and was able to do it!!!! That is on the left.


I really got going on a roll, Attic24's tutorials really made me feel like I could try anything so I tried a few more of her tutorials! Below is a swatch for a Granny Stripe Blanket. I found it so easy I think this will be my first full blown blanket project.


I also made a swatch for her Neat Ripple Blanket which is a stitch I had been curious about for awhile now and I did it! This would also make a very fine blanket!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you're doing great! I remember when those granny square vests were all the rage in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crocheted bags! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:11 PM

    Yay, I'm a fan of Attic 24, too. Hooray for figuring out granny squares, too! I look forward to seeing more crocheting from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, this post inspired me! I LOOOVVEEE your purse! It makes me want to make one. It looks like it could be a fun bag for whatever or could even be an evening back when dressed up (not like that ever happens in my life. LOL)

    I'm so proud you got the granny square and ripple. I haven't tried either and now I want to try both. The ripple is amazing! I can't wait to see how your blanket progresses. The colors are so fun.

    I bought the latest Crochet Today! and was wondering about the beret. My friend would LOVE it (she's a hat collector) but now I'm nervous on the sizing. Hmmm, what yarn did you use that ended up working well?

    Thanks for the shout-out for WIPW and my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the purse is coming along as well! I have a few purse patterns sitting around...this inspires me to try one out. Nice work BTW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the berets! Looking great :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...