Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hardcover vs Paperback 60

Sophomore Switch by Abby McDonald

Hardcover

Paperback

UK Edition

Amazon.com:

Take an administrative snafu, a bad breakup, and what shall heretofore be known as "The Hot-Tub Incident," and you’ve got two unprepared sophomores on a semester abroad. For American party girl Tasha, an escape to Oxford may be a chance to ditch her fame as a tabloid temptress, but wading Uggs-deep in feminist theory is not her idea of a break. Meanwhile, the British half of the exchange, studious Emily, nurses an aching heart amid the bikinis and beer pong of U.C. Santa Barbara. Soon desperation has the girls texting each other tips — on fitting in, finding love, and figuring out who they really are. With an anthropologist’s eye for detail and a true ear for teen-speak, exciting new novelist Abby McDonald has crafted a funny, fast-paced, poignant look at survival, sisterhood, and the surprising ways we discover our true selves.

First of all, the name. I prefer Sophomore Switch to Life Swap. It's more specific, Life Swap could refer to any age group. And I definitely prefer the US covers more because they show people which really get the idea of opposites across. And the paperback specifically is my favorite, the cover is more alive for me and I love the colors. The hardcover looks like the same model only with different clothes on.

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!

15 comments:

  1. I actually like the hardcover of Sophomore Switch the best -- even though the models don't look different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when you'd get to me :)

    The title was changed for the UK because we have no 'sophomore' in our vocab - the word just isn't used. And that cocktail glass was a very, very early UK cover idea that was quickly rejected - it never even made it to advance copies or anything. I'm still not sure about seeing it associated with the book, since nobody ever approved it.

    Anyway, glad you like the paperback cover! I'm thrilled with it, really excited to see it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both the US covers. I think the hardcover stands out on the book shelves, and the paperback one just looks pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know about the cocktail glass cover Abby, I wasn't sure so I have removed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paperback is my favorite too since the girls are dressed differently it looks like more of a change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the hardcover the best. The US paperback looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the hardcover best. The paperback is cute, but I feel like the two images are awkwardly balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the second (US paperback) the best. I think it shows a more drastic version of the differences between the girls as compared to the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer the US paperback. It's so colorful and lively, and there's much more of a difference between the two girls which really gets the idea across that they're opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also like the paperback best. It's a lot more fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i actually like both hardcover and paperback! The first seems a little too serious for the content, though, so my vote's in for the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I think I'd go with the US hardcover. I feel like I've seen variations of the US paperback before (Little Black Lies, maybe?) and so the hardcover is more original and attractive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely the US hardcover. I HATE those layered covers! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're all cute, but I think I prefer the last one (UK). Grrrreat book though, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the paperback one the best-I just think it's cute. I actually saw one of the photos that's on the paperback on another book today-Best Bets by Laura Pedersen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...