Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tuesday Thingers!

Since we're past the Fourth of July and the summer season has officially started, what are your plans for the summer? Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying?

My plans for the summer are to work. I started my first "real" job about five months ago. What I am looking forward to this summer are the releases of Breaking Dawn and Violet In Private. My reading plans include reading those two books, and cross my fingers a lot of the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series (which means I should start buying them, but i shouldn't because i have nowhere to put them, and i don't want to check them out from the library because I'm supposed to be reading books from my big TBR pile!) and tons of other things!

When I do go on trips I usually try and scout out interesting and unique bookstores or libraries to visit (along with art museums) Sometimes I'll scream and point from the car forcing my family to turn around so I can go into an amazing looking store we've just passed! While my sister is shopping for clothes I'm shopping for books.

I think the Librarything Local feature would help a lot next time I go on a trip. When I went to the UK for a month I believe I did some research before and during the trip about sights to see. I'll usually look at the displays of local books but never usually buy anything from them. I did get two tiki books in Hawaii though (pretty sure I could have gotten them anywhere though)

Some of my favorite bookstores around the country include... The Book Alcove, somewhere in Maryland, great used bookstore for a cheap price. Atomic Books in Baltimore, Maryland comics and zine heaven. The Borders Express stores on Maui (after all the nature I needed something familiar to bond with!) The Atlantic Bookstores on the east coast (our location closed about a year ago) all the bookstores in Bethany Beach Delaware. If you can't tell bookstores are where I get my souvenirs!

What was your favorite bookstore you visited while on vacation?

Who's been to Powell's cause I want to go there so very badly! A friend gave me their map/flyer once and I just about passed out!

8 comments:

  1. Aw I'm jealous you've found some great bookstores through LT. Only Borders/Barnes&Noble for me, but I still hope that one day I'll make a great find :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey congrats on your job! :-) Is the Borders express you went to in Maui the one in Ka'anapali? I loved that store! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atlantic bookstores are great.. We have one down at the Jersey shore. But, sometimes, they don't have a great selection, like Borders or Barnes and Nobles. Enjoy your summer job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fave vacation book spot is Beagle Books in Park Rapids, Minnesota - it's a great local bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH - I am looking so forward to Breaking Dawn as well! I'm so ticked because it comes out on my wedding day, so not a chance I'll be able to read it the day it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny that you wrote about the bookstore thing the same day I did! Love that you do that on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Oh yes...I can't wait for Breaking Dawn either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathleen- I'm hoping to use libraything local next time I take a trip! I think it's so new that I haven't been on vacation since it started!Just keep your eyes pealed you'll find a great store when you least expect it!

    Marie- Thank you!I can't remember which one I went to. I went to one inside of a mall and another that was a sort of stand alone store that was near other stores.

    Keri- I like Atlantic Books for the deals hehe! But you are right, not the best selection!

    Elizabeth- Where is Park Rapids? Northern MN? I totally live in Minnesota!*waves*

    S. Krishna- I hope you are reserving it or having someone get it for you so you can take it on your Honeymoon! Congratulations!

    Melissa-I know! Great minds think alike ;)

    J. Kaye- I think I'm going to plan my reading out so I can go and buy the book at midnight and not have anything to push aside for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...